Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyers Offer Safety Tips for Your Portable Space Heater
November 20, 2015
As colder months arrive, many people set up portable heaters either as a primary heat source or supplementing other heating. There is a risk of fires associated with any space heater. According to the CPSC, portable electric heaters caused 1200 fires per year between 2008 and 2010. Space heaters can ignite nearby flammable materials like curtains, beds, sofas, paper, clothing and flammable liquids. If a heater is left on, igniting something, a large fire could result. You can reduce the risks with some of these safety tips.
- Never use a heater you suspect is damaged. Before use, inspect the heater, cord, and plug for damage. Look at operation and maintenance instructions for your heater.
- Visit https://www.Saferproducts.gov to see if your electric heater is recalled.
- Don’t leave a heater on while unattended, or while you are sleeping.
- Make sure flammable material is at least 3 feet away from the front, sides, and rear of the heater.
- Be sure the heater plug fits snugly with the power outlet. If it doesn’t fit, don’t use the outlet.
- Check to make sure the cord, plug and outlet are not hot. If the plug or outlet is hot disconnect the heater and have an electrician check the plug or outlet. If the cord is hot disconnect the heater and have it inspected and repaired.
- Never plug the heater into an extension cord or surge protector.
- Keep the heater on a stable level surface and away from places where people might knock it over.
- Make sure your heater is safety certified and has an inspection mark.
- Don’t place the heater’s cord under rugs or carpets, as this is a potential fire hazard.
- To avoid possible shocks or electrocution keep electric heaters away from water. Avoid touching an electric heater while wet.
Philadelphia Personal Injury Attorneys at Galfand Berger Help Individuals Injured by Defective Products Obtain Compensation
If you or a family member has been injured by a defective product such as a space heater the Philadelphia products liability attorneys at Galfand Berger will work tirelessly on your behalf to assist you in receiving the maximum amount of compensation for your claim. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will guide you through the investigation of your claim, settlement negotiations and trial, if necessary. With offices conveniently located in Philadelphia, Reading and Bethlehem, Galfand Berger attorneys handle clients throughout Pennsylvania, including the Harrisburg and Allentown regions, as well as the South Jersey area. To schedule your free confidential consultation, call us today at 1-800-222-8792 or contact us online.