Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyers Alert Consumers to the Most Dangerous Toys of 2014 December 5, 2014
During the holiday season excited children will anxiously be making a list of new and innovative toys they wish to receive as presents. As parents and caregivers search for the best toys for their kids, there is some important information they need to know.
For more than 30 years, World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H.) has compiled an annual list of the most dangerous toys stocking store shelves. This year, ten toys made W.A.T.C.H.’s list. The toys were designated as unsafe with the potential to cause injury in the youngest consumers.
The following toys on the list have the potential to cause serious injuries to a child’s eyes or face, or possibly even head trauma:
- Air Storm Firetek Bow manufactured by Zing: This bow and arrow set poses a serious risk of injuring a child’s eyes.
- Catapencil by Toysmith: The eraser of this pencil instructs kids to “launch” it. As a result, the airborne eraser can cause eye injury.
- Bottle Rocket Party by Norman & Globus, Inc.: When the bottle rockets are propelled, the risk of eye injury is high.
- Radio Flyer Ziggle by Radio Flyer, Inc.: This four-wheel cycle includes a safety warning that a helmet must be worn by its rider. However, the child riding the cycle on the box is shown without a helmet which creates a risk of head injury. Riding any type of cycle without a helmet can result in traumatic brain injury.
Other toys identified by W.A.T.C.H. as hazardous pose a choking or strangulation risk to children. A good rule of thumb is to never allow an infant or young child to play with a toy that has components small enough to fit through an empty toilet paper roll. Specifically, the following toys are designated as dangerous by W.A.T.C.H. this year:
- Alphabet Zoo Rock & Stack Pull Toy by Skip Hop: For toys with dangling cords or strings, the acceptable threshold is no more than 12 inches in length, to prevent a strangulation risk. The cord on this pull toy exceeds that at 20 inches in length.
- Wooden Instruments by Walmart Stores, Inc.: This instrument set marketed for infants as young as 12 months includes a small, thin drum stick that can easily be swallowed by a young child.
- Lil’ Cutesies – Best Friends by JC Toys Group, Inc.: The hair bow on this doll is detachable and due to its small size, presents a real choking hazard for infants and toddlers.
- Colored Hedgehog by Toys r Us: This stuffed animal indicates it is made for infants, however the fuzzy “fur” on the toy is not secure and can block an infant’s airway if ingested.
Galfand Berger, LLP provides this information to ensure that our clients can remain safe and free from injury this holiday season.
Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyers at Galfand Berger Protect Rights of Victims of Unsafe Products
If you or someone you love has incurred an injury as a result of an unsafe or defective product, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Galfand Berger, LLP successfully pursue all entitled compensation for injured victims under products liability law. We have secured significant verdicts and settlements in all types of personal injury cases. Our offices are located in Philadelphia, Reading, and Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Call our offices at 1-800-222-8792 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.