green checkmark Google Screened
  • Contact Us Today

    • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • Can I Receive My Social Security Payments While Living Outside The United States?

    By: Gabriela Raful, Esq.

    Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyers advocate for those navigating SSDI claims.Many individuals on Social Security wonder whether they can retire or move to another country and still receive Social Security benefits.  If you are on Social Security and plan on moving to another country, certain rules and regulations may impact your entitlement to benefits.

    For example, if you are a United States Citizen you can receive your Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Social Security Retirement (SSR) while living abroad in most countries.  However, there are exceptions. So, before moving abroad, you should consult an experienced Social Security attorney.

    Additionally, if you live in a country that does not have a Social Security Agreement with the United States and you are a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States (LPR or green card holder) your benefits may stop after six (6) months.

    Finally, to qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you must live “inside” the United States. “Inside” the United States for SSI purposes means Continental United States and the Northern Marianna Islands. It does not include Puerto Rico. That means that if you are receiving SSI and you move to Puerto Rico, your benefits will stop.

    Click here for a brochure from the Social Security Administration that provides details on all these rules. If you or someone you know needs help applying or appealing a decision for Social Security Disability Benefits or Supplemental Security Income, our experienced team may be able to help. Call 1-800-222-8792 or contact us online today for a free consultation.

    1-800-222-USWA (8792)