Philadelphia Trucking Accident Lawyers
Information That Can Help Your Truck Accident Case
If you are involved in an accident with a large truck, it might be difficult at first to concentrate through all the stress and confusion. However, there are some very important steps you must take immediately after an accident that will benefit you later besides contacting a Pennsylvania Truck Accident Lawyer:
- Stay at the scene. Never leave the scene of an accident until the authorities have arrived. However, if you are in a rural area with no one else around and without phone service, if you are able, you should drive to the nearest police station for help.
- Do not move any of the vehicles unless they are directly in the way of traffic. It may be important to have pictures of the exact ending position of the vehicles. However, if you absolutely have to move them, the damage to the vehicle will likely be enough for police to draw proper conclusions.
- Assess the condition of everyone involved and call the police. Let the authorities know whether they need to send an ambulance. Do not move anyone with neck or back pain until emergency personnel arrive. However, if there is leaking gas and a possibility of explosion, move that person carefully while supporting the neck and back.
- Start gathering insurance and contact information from the other drivers. At no time should you apologize, even if you think the accident is your fault. These statements could be used against you at a later time.
- Take thorough pictures of all vehicles involved from different angles. This may be your only opportunity to take pictures of the damage to the vehicles, and may also help reconstruct the accident..
- Gather information from witnesses. Your attorney and the police will want to talk to anyone who saw the accident occur.
Contact your insurance company as soon as possible. It is very important to tell the truth about everything involving the accident. . In the days, weeks, and months following the accident, you should be diligent in keeping track of any pain, suffering, or property damage you experience. Get the damage to your vehicle assessed and only discuss the accident with your attorney and insurance company. Do not talk to other drivers’ lawyers or insurance claims adjusters. If you have been in an accident with a large truck, do not sign anything until you have consulted with a Pennsylvania truck accident attorney at Galfand Berger. Call us today at 800-222-8792.