Helping injured people since 1947

Philadelphia Premises Liability Lawyers

Amusement Parks

While it does not happen often, patrons do suffer serious injuries at amusement parks, water parks, entertainment-complexes and sports facilities. We all know amusement parks are fun. A trip to an amusement park is often a great family outing. With so many people visiting amusement parks, injuries are bound to happen from time to time. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) tells us there are certain hazards associated with amusement ride related accidents:

  • Mechanical failures associated with amusement ride related accidents such as missing safety pins, broken structural components, exposed electrical wires, broken drive chains, malfunctioning lap bars or other safety restraints, failure to shut off, improper detachment of cars, and improper detachment of structural components.
  • Neglectful operator behavior including, abruptly stopping the ride, improperly assembling and maintaining the ride, defeating safety equipment such as brakes and automatic emergency shut off switches.
  • Failure of ride operators to supervise and prevent poor customer behavior associated with ride related accidents including, intentionally rocking cars, standing up, taking off safety restraints, sitting improperly (sideways or with feet above lap bar), holding a child above the safety restraint.

If you have been injured at an amusement park, here are some questions you may have:

What must be proven to make a recovery in a lawsuit against the owner of the amusement park?

A case of liability for a patron’s injury at an amusement park ordinarily requires proving at a minimum that:

  • The defendant or wrongdoer owned or operated the ride in question.
  • The injured patron was on the ride in question.
  • The injured patron followed all rules and obeyed all warnings regarding the ride.
  • The defendant breached the duty to protect the patron from injury

Do I need a lawyer?

Yes. Even if the insurance company or the amusement park contacted you, you should speak with an experienced amusement park injury lawyer if you sustained any injuries in an amusement park accident. When you are injured, neither the insurance company nor the amusement park is your friend. They are not looking out for your best interest. They are looking out for their own interest: saving as much money as possible. You on the other hand want to be fully and fairly compensated for the injuries sustained. This is why you need our personal injury law firm to represent you. Our personal injury attorneys can negotiate the best possible settlement for you or file a lawsuit on your behalf.

If I retain a lawyer, will I have to pay legal fees and costs?

There is no fee unless we recover money for you.

Should I be speaking to the representative of the amusement park or the insurance carrier?

We would advise you to contact us if the amusement park or insurance company has contacted you. There may very well be some times where you should speak to the insurance company or amusement park representative; however, you should not make that decision until you have first discussed the matter with us.

How long do I have to file a claim against the amusement park?

In every state there is a statute of limitations, which means that you must file a claim within a certain period of time or your claim will be forever barred. In Pennsylvania and New Jersey, that period is two (2) years. You should contact our personal  injury lawyers if you have any questions regarding how long you have to file the claim after the injury or death occurred. If you are going to use a lawyer, it is important that the injury lawyer be retained as soon as possible so a timely and thorough investigation can be conducted. A timely investigation is important because as time passes, witness’ memories are not as good or you may lose track of them. A prompt investigation should be done because the environment where the accident occurred may also change.

In addition to amusement ride injuries, many claims are made against amusement parks as a result of failure to maintain grounds and structures of the facility in a reasonable condition. Read more about slip and fall  accidents.

Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyers of Galfand Berger Represent Amusement Park Injury Victims

If you or a loved one has been injured, we are happy to answer your questions and have one of our Philadelphia personal injury lawyers review your case for free. Please call us at 1-800-222-USWA (8792) or complete our short contact form and a member of our firm will contact you.

With offices in Philadelphia, Lancaster, Bethlehem and Reading, we serve clients throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.  And, remember, there is no fee unless we recover for you.

See the recoveries that we have obtained for our clients here.


Awards and Recognition

Galfand Berger, LLP

Attorney Advertising Materials. Wayne A. Hamilton is responsible for the content of this website. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

With offices in Philadelphia, Lancaster, Bethlehem and Reading, we serve clients throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

We work to protect the rights of clients who have been injured as a result of car accidents, defective products, unsafe equipment and machinery, workplace accidents, medical malpractice and any other serious injuries or accidents.

Galfand Berger LLP is located in Philadelphia, PA and serves clients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, including Bala Cynwyd, Merion Station, Wynnewood, Philadelphia, Narberth, Gladwyne, Elkins Park, Cheltenham, Wyncote, Upper Darby, Ardmore, Glenside, Lafayette Hill, Havertown, Haverford, Flourtown, Darby, Oreland, Jenkintown, Drexel Hill, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County.

Contact Info
Phone: 1-800-222-USWA (8792)

Maps and Directions