Helping injured people since 1947

Philadelphia Employment Discrimination Lawyers


Sex-Based Discrimination / Gender Discrimination

Working people are protected against discrimination on the basis of sex / gender.  Our Philadelphia gender discrimination attorneys have represented many victims of discrimination based on sex/gender and have achieved compensation and job protection when they have been treated unlawfully.  Employment lawyers at Galfand Berger are here to help you and protect you from sex-based discrimination and harassment.

What is sex or gender discrimination?

Federal and state law protect individuals against employment discrimination on the basis of sex.  It is against the law for an employer to discriminate against any employee, or applicant for employment, because of his/her sex in regard to:  hiring, termination, promotion, compensation, job training, or any other term, condition, or privilege of employment.

These laws also prohibit employment decisions based on stereotypes and assumptions about abilities, traits, or the performance of individuals on the basis of sex.  And, these laws prohibit both intentional discrimination and neutral job policies that disproportionately exclude individuals on the basis of sex and that are not job related.

What to do if you believe you have been unlawfully treated?

Many companies have policies regarding any discrimination, harassment or retaliation in their company handbook. Likewise, they may have reporting requirements, which may require you to follow a certain procedure.  You should request the company to take action to stop and correct discrimination, harassment, or retaliation. You should follow those procedures and document your actions in writing.  Failure to follow those procedures may lead to a denial of your rights to recover legal damages for the improper action of the company.

You have to act promptly.

There is a limited time in which you can bring a claim for discrimination, harassment, or retaliation. You must file your claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) under Title VII of the Civil Rights within 180 days of the last act of discrimination and/or the same holds true for filing a state claim with the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission (PHRC). However, if you file a claim with the PHRC within 180 days of the last act of discrimination or harassment, you can file a claim with the EEOC within 300 days of the last act of discrimination or harassment.

Contact the Experienced Philadelphia Gender Discrimination Attorneys at Galfand Berger

If you believe that you have a claim for discrimination, harassment, or retaliation, please contact our office for a free case evaluation and assistance in filing your claim. Call our highly skilled and knowledgeable Philadelphia gender discrimination attorneys today at 1-800-222-USWA (8792) or contact us online.

Awards and Recognition

Galfand Berger, LLP

Attorney Advertising Materials. Wayne A. Hamilton is responsible for the content of this website. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

We serve clients in Philadelphia, Allentown, Harrisburg, Reading, throughout Pennsylvania and in New Jersey. Our offices are located in Philadelphia, Reading, and Bethlehem, Pa.

We work to protect the rights of clients who have been injured as a result of car accidents, defective products, unsafe equipment and machinery, workplace accidents, medical malpractice and any other serious injuries or accidents.

Galfand Berger LLP is located in Philadelphia, PA and serves clients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, including Bala Cynwyd, Merion Station, Wynnewood, Philadelphia, Narberth, Gladwyne, Elkins Park, Cheltenham, Wyncote, Upper Darby, Ardmore, Glenside, Lafayette Hill, Havertown, Haverford, Flourtown, Darby, Oreland, Jenkintown, Drexel Hill, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County.

Contact Info
Phone: 1-800-222-USWA (8792)

Maps and Directions